Thursday, May 06, 2004

Candy, Candy, Candy I Can't Let You Go.....

I LOVE CANDY. I love the chocolate candy most and author Steve Almond's new release is a reflection of freaks like me. Candyfreak is a cross country adventure into the fabulous world of confections. I'm looking forward to reading it and revisiting the candy of my youth and examining the politics of making to the candy rack in your local store. Mr. Almond is interviewed at 3 a.m. magazine and discusses one of my personal favorites I can't find anymore, the horror. Asked what was the strangest candy he'd come across he states....
"I'm going to go with the Idaho Spud, which is just totally bizarre and wonderful on so many levels. To begin with, it's shaped like a half potato. The inside is this special marshmallow that's made with a seaweed derivative called agar agar, rather than gelatin, and has a tofu-like consistency. The marshmallow is flavored with maple and cocoa, which gives it this grayish color, which a lot of folks find disconcerting. The filling is enrobed in chocolate, then sprinkled with coconut. Even stranger: the Spud used to be shaped like a whole potato. The two halves were stuck together with milk chocolate. The old timers around Boise, where the bar is made, still complain about the new fangled half spud."
Sounds a little gross when you read it, but there is nothing like them in the world, tre' yummay! Spud ME baybeee! Have a loverly day!

Link Via: Bookslut