Monday, April 12, 2004

Monday's Friday Five

1. What do you do for a living? I am a Specialty Retail Manager, basically I run a bookstore and come October I run a two bookstores and one calendar store (4th quarter whore I am)

2. What do you like most about your job? The books first and foremost. I wasn't much of a reader growing up, but my little sister is a voracious reader and passed many of her favorites on to me, then my mother started passing books on to me. I'd go from Harriet the Spy to a raunchy Harold Robbins book within a weeks passing. To this day I still read children's literature and although I haven't read a Harold Robbins book since "The Lonely Lady", which incidentally horrified me and intrigued me like a car crash, I read Tom Robbins now. I love the marketing aspect of my job, I'm a visual person, I'm a trend spotter, trend setter, and regional liaison to our Home Office buyers and if I like your book I'll make sure its picked up for the Northwest Region of our company and I'll pimp the shit out of it. If I don't like it, or say you were a snotty fuckwit to me, you may or may not find your book in my store, it depends mostly on the phase of the moon and my menstrual cycle, w-o-m-a-n.

3. What do you like least about your job? Stupidity and ignorance, V.C. Andrews, the oft asked question of "Where's your non-fiction?", if its not fiction dude, 9 times out of 10 their looking for true crime anyways, ock. I dislike people bitching about our discounting strategy, if its half price at Costco or Wal Mart, please, for the love of fuck buy it there. I dislike the fact that people swear the new Grisham novel is in paperback and that they saw it at the 'airport bookstore', mmmkay. Again, if you saw it there you should have bought it there as in my world its a years wait for the paperback version. *slap*

4. When you have a bad day at work it's usually because _____... of shoplifters, mall security, employee's that don't work or a customer tries to return a book we haven't sold in years, demanding cash no less. Over and shortages in the tills can cause me to lob a bestseller at any target moving or not....I pity that fool that has regular shortages. A bad audit will reduce me to the fetal position and an employee's repeated bad performance is corrected with the threats of paper cuts.

5. What other career(s) are you interested in? Marketing/ merchandising or a grammatically inferior columnist. No matter what I choose to do to I've gotta be the boss, there can be no other way. I'm a bitch by birthright and a leader by choice.