Monday, August 02, 2004

Comical Girl Power *Ka-Boing!*

I used to criticize bookslut for her mentions of graphic novels and comic books, who could give a shit? Right? Truth is I have a comic book rack in my apartment, as I've mentioned before, I'm so full of shit. My comics are mostly nicotine laced dandy's from the early 80's and a true collector would shiver at my treatment towards my comics. Dust aside, they sit in an old comic spinner, corners bending over, exposed to my cupie-elements and the comics in the lower pockets have some holes in them from one of my cat's past culinary fetishes, paper, yum.

My collection is mostly comprised of Mickey Mouse, Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Archie and the occasional X-men. I loved Archie, until I found myself in a similar Archie, Betty and Veronica situation and now I 'spit' on that wishy-washy mother fucker, Fuck Archie, Betty and Veronica would be better off just running off together to live in sapphic yet, comic bliss (imagine the shopping!). Anyhoo......now the little girls that used to read Archie are now into Manga according to this article and according to the young girls and grown women who buy hundreds of dollars worth of Manga every month at my store. Okay, so maybe girls didn't buy as many comics as boys over the years, but apparently the ladies are making up for lost time.

My love of comics has faded to the occasional graphic novel or books about comics. And I admit right here and now, that when bookslut mentions a comic, well...I click the link and sometimes even order the item for myself, because again, I'm full of shit. As for Manga, I can live without it, its overpriced for one and if I wanted to relate my persona to a Super Hero it wouldn't be the americanized Japanese version of a Super Hero, I would liken myself to the mutant femme fatals of X-men. When I bleached stripes in my hair back in the 90's it wasn't because Ginger Spice was setting the trend, it was because of the X-man standee I had in my office/backroom at the book store and I was having a "How can I destroy my hair in 2 steps or less moment". Nowadays, my bleached stripes are gone and the comic spinner full, neglected and now considered a dust collecter...sculpture, heh, if you spin it, it becomes performance art.