Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Humpday Linkage ver. 4.0

BREAKING DSM NEWS!!!
Um....apparently the Downing Street Memo is um, newsworthy, not because of a pending investigation, but because the story won't die:
"More than a month after its publication, the so-called Downing Street Memo remains among the top 10 most viewed articles on The Times of London site."


SPEW-WORTHY Books
Everything Bad Is Good For You: This book helps to justify that although our waistlines are thicker because we watch hours of The West Wing and played Tetris till the cows came home (soon to find, that you were the cow) we are smarter for it. Keeping this in mind, are smart people with arthritic thumbs, no social skills and numb asses are the new black?

Freakonomics: Abortions have lowered the crime rate, statistcally speaking, of course. And did you know your name can determine your success in life and until there is a CEO named Shaneeqwa Bleu this author stands by his claim, statistically speaking, of course.

Short Story Time:Turbulence by David Sedaris
On the flight to Raleigh, I sneezed, and the cough drop I'd been sucking on shot from my mouth, ricocheted off my folded tray table, and landed, as I remember it, in the lap of the woman beside me, who was asleep and had her arms folded across her chest. I'm surprised that the force didn't wake her --that's how hard it hit--but all she did was flutter her eyelids and let out a tiny sigh, the kind you might hear from a baby.

Link via TMFTML and he was even kind enough to take a crack at being a short, greek gay man:
Sideswiped
It was during that moment of anticipation and dread you experience when you're the next customer - finally! - in line at Duane Reade that I realized my wallet was empty, and if I wanted to purchase the corn pads my feet so desperately called out for, I'd need to visit an A.T.M. Oh, sure, I could have used a credit card, but I've always found them to be so poignant and depressing - combining as they do the coldness of plastic and the destructive illusion that you have more money than you do - that I decided long ago to limit myself to cash and a debit card. And while there was an A.T.M. in the store, Duane Reades have always struck me as so impersonal - blending as they do the immediate availability of foot care products and vaginal lubricants with a dead-eyed staff who barely look up at you as you purchase your lip balm and jock itch powder - that any extra second in there seemed like it would be somehow deducted from the minutes numbering my life.


OPtickle time: Bored? Stare at the disappearing purple dots (Rapid coloured afterimage) and have a super day!