Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Nothing From Nothing Leaves Nothing: RIP Billy Preston

I thought I would take a second, sit down and check out a few sites (I'm a blog whore like that) only to find out that the man often referred to as "the fifth Beatle" Mr. Billy Preston has passed away. Ironically, I have been listening to a disc of "Soul Hits" all afternoon which has the track of Nothing From Nothing. I can still remember when I saw him sing it on American Bandstand, I thought he was the dude and the song was and is the coolest song and still do. I saw Preston perform with Clapton in the 80's, it was magic. Recently, I saw him in St. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club

Cheesey good times. And for the youngin's out there that aren't familiar with this great man here's a smidge of him singing George Harrison's My Sweet Lord:


Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me
Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin' if you wanna be with me

I'm not tryin' to be your hero
'Cause that zero is too cold for me, Brrr
I'm not tryin' to be your highness
'Cause that minus is too low to see, yeah

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
And I'm not stuffin', believe you me
Don't you remember I told ya
I'm a soldier in the war on poverty, yeah
Yes, I am

May he rest in peace.