Thursday, April 29, 2004

The Price of Tea in China, See the Cat? See the Cradle?

"People are always blaming their circumstances for what they
are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on
in this world are the people who get up and look for the
circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make
them."


George Bernard Shaw

I do believe that my sinuses just might explode today, be afraid, this nose is loaded, ow. =P

To the crazy lady who covered her address with duct tape on her license because she's a Christian and didn't want those 'cultist dark skins'' at the 7-11 to write her address down anymore. Get over your paranoid self. I asked her to use cash in my store from here on out and I asked her oh so politely not to divulge her hate in my presence, tyvm. :D

To Matt an employee from 7 years ago who came into the bookstore to say thank you to me for making him see that it was books he wanted to sell and thanks for giving him guidance when he felt he was lost. Thank You, for saying thanks. Okay, granted he has blue and black braids and he's pierced everything on his body, you could stick a damn redwood tree through the holes in his ears and the hook he wears around his neck is part of the Charlie Rose type freak show he works at in his spare time is alarming, but the dude is following his bliss, he seems like a wonderful grounded young fella, he's traveled, he's made amends with his past and he loves his job at Half Priced Books and came in and said thanks. It's the small thing people.

I finally finished Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, I enjoyed it, it was classic Vonnegut, great story telling that starts off on the straight and narrow when all of the sudden the BAM! Your in an apocalyptic synthetic frozen afterworld. The local crazy lady (one of many, apparently) asked what I was reading I told her and she asked what it was about, "Well, its about the one of the makers of the A-bomb" I tell her, she looks at me alarmed and then says, "what is the A-bomb?", I stare at her dumbfounded and explain the bomb and remind her of Hiroshima. She responds with "Ah yes....well, I hope it has a good ending", alrighty.

"See the Cat, see the Cradle", we make things that don't make sense, we say things that don't make sense. Some of these things destroy us and some of these things are games. We make up religions when none suit our beliefs and throughout the books Bokonon (translates to Johnson) is the religion, pratical, pragmatic and ridiculous, not unlike life. Another great book, another massive mind fuck, thanks Mr. Vonnegut.