Monday, March 14, 2005

This Blog Has Tits

Maybe it's the overwhelming use of the color pink, or perhaps the Dorothy Parker quotes, or the fact that I have my picture shamelessly posted on the index page that lets you know that I, the Cupie, am a woman blogger. Have blog, will spew.

Lately, the world of op-ed and the bubble that is the blogosphere is all a titter (heh, tit-ter...mmkay...) about the lack of prominent female bloggers. Trust me, it's not easy to get the much coveted "traffic" all good self-promoting whores, like myself, desire. You've got to put yourself out there in the blogosphere in hopes that someone, anyone, will dig where you're coming from and link back to you. Maureen Dowd weighs in on the subject in her Sunday column:

When I need to work up my nerve to write a tough column, I try to think of myself as Emma Peel in a black leather catsuit, giving a kung fu kick to any diabolical mastermind who merits it

Basically, you've got to be ready to walk the talk, stand by your opinion and ready yourself for some debate if you want to play with the big boys on Technorati's top 100. I'll pass on the sweaty catsuit vision of Ms. Dowd's imagination and sit comfortably in my cotton sweats spewing my observations and opine satirically, mostly for my own amusement. Trust me, it has been great therapy when one is trying to break the habit of conversing with the television or say looking at my cats after watching a presidential press conference and saying, "no fucking way, he did not just say that." Both cats stare at me briefly, most likely thinking that food is coming and when they realize I'm nonsensically bitching about the state of the universe, they continue to lick their kitty crotches and I'm left with nothing but my blog.

Still, the question is out there:
"Does the blogosphere have a diversity problem?"
Not in my area of the blogosphere. I rarely visit the "top sites" unless I'm looking for something specific or they are already regular reads on my blogroll and really, when think about it, these sites are political or technical for the most part. So yes, they will get more traffic than the average blog. These bloggers stick to one topic and are known for it. I, on the other hand, can be all over the board, from politics to literature to how I scratched my ass last Thursday. I can expect less traffic than an "A-list" blogger, that is unless I scratch my ass while lashing out at main stream media, officially now referred to as MSM by bloggers. MSM should not be confused to MSG; although, both will make you dizzy and puke if too much is consumed.

The bottom-line is that in my mind or rather, my blogroll, no one gender is predominate in the sphere o' blogs. Linking whitey to whitey, "A-list" to "A-list" may happen in the top 100, but down here, in the belly of blogs, we are all colors and of every race possible. We are gay, lesbian, transgender, teenagers, seniors, middle-aged curmudgeons, Christians, atheists, agnostics; some being zealots, others being passive. We link to each other as if we know each other, but we don't, we just respect where they're coming from on any one point of interest.

If you are a woman with a voice to be heard, pimp your shit, sell it. No one is going to do it for you, so don't expect it. Be bold, work hard and maybe, just maybe you'll stand forefront in the male dominated world of opinions. Men are from mars, women have no penis. This blog has tits and sometimes they get cold when I'm pressing them to yet another glass ceiling for attention.